How to create WooCommerce coupons only for new customers
If you want to encourage new customers to sign up for your WooCommerce store, then offering a new customer coupon is one of the most effective strategies. In this guide, we will show you simple steps on how to create a coupon that’s limited to new customers only.
Creating a coupon code for the existing user is not a big deal for WooCommerce however creating coupons for new customers only, can be a tricky task. The reason being WooCommerce does not have an option to limit coupon usage to new customers only.
What is a first order discount
A first order discount is a discount that is provided to a customer on their first order. This is a great way to start converting new customers into regular customers. Using Woocommerce, you can easily set up a first-order discount for your customers.
Why you should discount a customer’s first order
A first order discount is a smart way to start a relationship with a new customer and convert them into lifelong customers. By providing a discount on their first order, you are essentially giving them a reason to do business with you again in the future. Plus, using a first order discount is an excellent way to get customers interested in your product who may not have considered purchasing it otherwise.
- People are more likely to try a new product if they receive a discount on it. This increased exposure leads to more sales down the line as people become familiar with and loyal to the brand.
- When you give first-time customers a discount, it becomes simpler to monitor the efficacy of your marketing schemes. For example, if you create separate coupon codes for various marketing plans, you can see how many new customers each one brought in. With a good system, you can even keep track of how much money those customers spent over time and which marketing path led to better customers.
- If you offer a discount or coupon, it may entice new or potential customers to sign up for your email list. This, in turn, gives you more opportunities to reach out and communicate with them in the future.
- Offering discounts can introduce a sense of urgency and encourage customers to buy your products more quickly. This can be beneficial to your business by increasing sales and potentially reducing the number of abandoned shopping carts. Be sure that your discount offers are prominently displayed on your website.
How to create discount coupon for first order only in WooCommerce
Before we start you have to make sure you have the “First order discount WooCommerce” plugin installed. Once installed and active, in order to discount the first order in WooCommerce, you will need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Woo Extend > First Order Discount page and navigate to the “Order Discount” tab.
- From the “Choose type of discount” section, choose the type of discount you want. for example “Percentage Discount”
- Set the “Discount Value” that you want, for example, 20.
- Save your changes and you’re done!
Now navigate to marketing -> Coupons and you can see the “first order discount” listed in the coupon list
How to check WooCommerce new customer coupon usage
Once you have created and promoted your coupon you need a way to track and measure its effectiveness. For this you need a way to see how many times the coupon has been used and more importantly how many of the new customers have actually used the new customer coupon. For this, you can use the Users Insights ” Has used coupon” filter. To check the WooCommerce coupon usage all you have to do is to apply the ” Has used coupon” filter. This will give you a customer list of all the customers who have made an order and used the specified coupon code.
If you want to check how many of the new customers have used the new customers only coupon you can combine the filter with the date registered filter:
This will return a list of all new customers who have used the coupon code.
In this guide, you have learned how to create WooCommerce coupon codes that are valid only for new customers. This will allow you to set lower prices for first-time customers without affecting your returning buyers. We have also explored different ways to track the effectiveness of your campaign.