Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information:
- Basic Account and Billing information: When you attempt to purchase a product from us, we will create an account for you on our site, that will allow you to download the product and have access to updates and license information. We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require to provide a name and email address. We also require to provide your billing country for taxation purposes.
- Communications with us: You may also provide us information when you send us an email or communicate with us about a support question.
- Licensing information: When you purchase a product from us and activate its license, we will store the URL of the website for which the license is activated. This is so we can verify the license validity for any requests coming from your website to download updates or use the included product services (such as geolocation API access).
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Login and usage information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that a user performs on our site like last login date, number of sessions along with information about your device (e.g., browser, operating system and mobile device manufacturer) and IP address. We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions. We also use the country associated with your IP address when you purchase a product from us as an additional verification of location for taxation purposes.
The table below explains the types of cookies we use on our websites, and why we use them:
|Type of cookie
|Essential website cookies
|These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Website and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas. You can read more about some of the essential cookies here.
|Shopping cart cookies
|These cookies are set when you attempt to purchase a product from us. They are mainly used to store your current shopping cart state. Some of the cookies that are set are:
|Google Analytics cookies
|These cookies collect information that is used in aggregate form to help us understand how our website and services are being used. You can read more about the Google Analytics cookies here.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
To find out more on how to manage and delete cookies, visit aboutcookies.org.
You can opt out of Google Analytics by installing Google’s opt-out browser add-on.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services–for example, to deliver our products and services and to set up and maintain your account;
- Responding to communications from you;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about updates of our products, offers and promotions offered by Us when we think will be of interest to you or solicit your feedback;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- We may use or share your personal information with your consent, such as when you consent to let us post your testimonials or endorsements on our Site.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
Our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
(1) The use is necessary in order to fulfil our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account–for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid product; or
(2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
(3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
(4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
(5) You have given us your consent– processing is based on your consent. Where we rely on your consent you have the right to withdraw it anytime by contacting us (scroll down to How to Reach Us to find out how to reach us).
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us, or to provide their services to you or your site. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you, such as:
- Payment providers that process your credit and debit card information – PayPal and Stripe;
- Email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you – Mailchimp;
- Email support services that help us communicate with you – HelpScout;
- Those that assist us with our marketing efforts and those that help us understand and enhance our Services – Google Analytics;
- Geolocation services – when we attempt to identify your location based on your IP address or when your website sends a request to our geolocation services to identify your users’ locations, we might send the IP address to the MaxMind Geolocation services in the cases when our geolocation services are not able to find a location associated with this IP address;
- Web hosting – we use the LiquidWeb hosting services to host usersinsights.com and provide our services.
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services
We are based in Australia and we have contractors and service providers in other countries (our hosting provider and most of the third-party services that we use are based in the United States), and your personal information may be transferred to Australia, the United States or other locations outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction.
How Long We Keep Information
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the nature, amount, and sensitivity of the personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means.
By law we have to keep basic information about our customers and sales for five to seven years (depending on the government department or organisation that needs the information) after they cease being customers for tax purposes.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: You can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using our website, with the drawback that certain features of our website may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Close Your Account: If you no longer want to use our Services, you can close your account. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
If you would like to contact us about one of those rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us to find out how to reach us.
How to Reach Us
- if you are an existing customer, you can use our Support page form
- you can use our Contact page form
- you can send an email to
That’s it! Thanks for reading.